Minor Construction/Remodel

Department Funded Requests

These requests include but are not limited to the following:

  • Installation or relocation of wall-mounted shelves, bulletin/chalk/dry erase boards, mirrors
  • Assembly/disassembly of furniture such as desks, file cabinets, computer stations, freestanding bookcases, prefabricated partitions, etc.
  • Assembly/disassembly of laboratory equipment such as autoclaves, freezers, laser tables, etc.
  • Repair of furniture or locks on furniture
  • Damages caused by neglect or misuse by occupant
  • Window treatments including blinds, drapes and window tinting (excluding classroom and lab spaces)
  • Fume hood and air flow certifications/testing
  • Cosmetic painting of all building interior and exterior surfaces (including soiled areas or marks exposed when wall-hung items or furniture is moved)
  • Dry-walling, texturing and painting associated with remodels or renovations
  • Changing color of walls, trim, cabinets and doors
  • Replacement of flooring before end of useful life or for cosmetic reasons
  • Flooring associated with remodels or renovations
  • Flooring required as a result of occupant abuse
  • Repair and maintenance services for small appliances such as stoves, refrigerators, ice machines, freezers and washers/dryers
  • Repair and maintenance services for any department owned property or equipment
  • Repairs due to misuse or deliberate damage caused by building occupants

Services less than $1,000

No formal estimates will be provided. Work will be billed on a time and materials basis, not to exceed $1,000.

Services greater than $1,000

These projects require a formal estimate.

After the requesting department submits a work request, a member of the Facilities Services team will contact the department to obtain the full scope of work and will create an estimate. The Facilities Service Center will send an estimate approval request to the department. Once the estimate is approved, Facilities Services will move forward with scheduling the request. If the estimate is not approved within 30 days, the work order will be cancelled.

Report a Facility Emergency

To report a facility emergency, contact the Work Control Center immediately at (619) 594-4754. This number is answered 24/7.

Work Control Center

Non-Urgent Requests

All other non-urgent maintenance or department requests should be submitted using the Customer Request Portal.